Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mixing Prints


Striped white & black cardigan- H&M ~$25
Chartreuse tank top- Forever 21 ~$7
Black skirt with tiny white polka dots- BRIGG (via Goodwill) ~$6
Florescent chartreuse flower accent- H&M ~$3 for pack of two
Red braided belt- H&M ~$5
Purple double strap Mary Jane’s- Delia*s ~$20 (GIFT)
TOTAL COST: Approximately $66 ($46 w/o cost of shoes)
This outfit was inspired by J’s Everyday Fashions (http://www.jseverydayfashion.com/)  
I consider myself pretty bold, especially when it comes to fashion but I wasn’t sure about mixing prints. Of course I’ve long been following the “rule” wherein one print is to be bolder and one print is to be more subtle, but it’s still a gamble. I was very pleased with how this outfit turned out. It was attention grabbing but for the right reasons. The pops of color added interest but still allowed for the patterns to play lead.
This skirt is one of my favorites. I purchased it at Goodwill a while back, but had no idea then how much of a staple it would become. Because black is a neutral, I can wear it with any color. The print is small enough that I can wear it in a more formal manner or add other pieces to make it more whimsical. Finally, the length and fit of this skirt are perfect. The length is above the knee, but meets the “arms-to-the-side” high school dress code rule. I often struggle with the rule because I have long, lanky arms that make finding such skirts a challenge. Fit is what makes the conservative length more youthful. The skirt is fitted without being skintight and the small vent in the back of the skirt makes it easy to walk and sit down in. 
Tell me readers, Do you mix patterns? Comment or email me at BsGoodwillHunting@gmail.com
 Thriftfully Yours,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment