Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Skinny Cargo



Grey crest t-shirt- J. Crew ~$15 (on sale)
Denim cargo pedal pushers- Ann Taylor LOFT (via Goodwill) ~$7
Brown leather braided belt- Vintage (mother’s)
Ship & map printed triangle scarf- Local consignment shop (no brand) ~$6
Gold chevron slip-on- Toms Shoes (gift, retails for $54)
TOTAL COST: Approx. $28

I don’t wear denim often- not even in the winter. I own quite a few pairs of jeans and the ones I wear the most are two dark-wash skinny-cut pairs. These denim pedal pushers were thrifted at the GW a number of years ago and I barely wore them-in fact, they were in my own donation pile before I had the wherewithal to rescue and keep them until my styling’s were a bit more on the mature side. The fit is great, the wash is dark and the length makes them workable for spring, summer and early fall. They even have these great cargo-style pockets that became significantly more popular after the “skinny cargo” was unleashed upon the fashion public two seasons ago. Ann Taylor LOFT was totally ahead of that trend- who would’ve thought!
While many looks I post here on BGH could be classified as “casual,” this seems even more so, and I attribute it to the denim. The heather grey tee and pedal pushers were alright, but needed something else to make the outfit more attention grabbing- thus the scarf bow. I’m not sure that it was the right choice for this outfit, but when I get something new, I can’t help but feel the intense desire to test it out as soon as possible. This fashion-impulsivity causes me to do some weird things, like wear out of season clothes or mix style genres. This scarf is one of two I recently purchased at a local consignment shop ($6 a piece!) and I am already obsessed with all the ways I intend to tie/wear it. I found an excellent graphic on how to tie square scarves all sorts of interesting ways and I will post it with another entry I’ve got on deck. My fashion muse for this scarf/giant hair bow is the lovely Blair Waldorf (of Gossip Girl, naturally). While I doubt this ensemble en total would be appealing to her, the vintage hair adornment is a classic-Blair.
Tell me readers, Do you take fashion inspiration from a TV/Movie character? Comment or email me at BsGoodwillHunting@gmail.com

Thriftfully Yours,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment