Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fashion, Fit & the Fourth




Red top with white detailing- Calvin Kline (via Goodwill) ~$3.50
White and gold pencil skirt- JC Penny ~$7 (on sale)
Earrings- Local artisan ~$5
Light blue skinny belt- no tag (Goodwill) ~$ .97
Sandals- Lands End ~$10  Nine West (Via Bon Ton) ~$20
TOTAL COST: Approx. ~$26.47/36.47

            I love dressing with purpose and holidays often provide me with an opportunity to do so. Here’s my not-too-costumey Fourth of July ensemble. This post may be a good time to talk about sizing. I don’t put a lot of stock in women’s sizes. Each manufacturer does it differently and aside from that, the type of garment effects sizing too. For example, a tight, body hugging dress would require a larger size (for me) than would an empire-waisted dress, as I have a more pear-like shape. When shopping, especially true while thrifting, it is more important to look at the garment itself, and don’t get hung up on what the tag says about size. This Calvin Kline top was labeled extra-small, but it looked more like a medium and the print was so excellent that I had to try it. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it takes only a few moments to try something on. So when we look at gain v. loss, it’s a fabulous top to gain, and only a few seconds to lose. This skirt, while not from a thrift store, was so classy and versatile (and cheap! $7 is an excellent deal) that despite it’s Petite sizing, I tried it on- and voila! Instant wardrobe staple.
            You might notice I am wearing a different pair of shoes than I featured in the detail box. A good friend of mine who is also an excellent style blogger, (http://sugarandspicebyavb.blogspot.com/) said that while my outfits are stylish, my shoes are lacking, and recommended my gold heels, so here they are! While we’re talking about SugarSpiceStyle, she is also a talented nail artist (she’s tried tricky techniques like water marbling). I decided to do something patriotic for Independence Day!
            Tell me readers, Have you ever used a holiday to inspire your look? Inbox or email me at BsGoodwillHunting@gmail.com

Thriftfully Yours,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment