Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Consignment V. Goodwill


Navy & white floral wrap dress- Tommy Hilfiger Outlet (via local consignment shop, NWT) ~$21
Indian penny pendant necklace- Vintage (from grandmother)
Tan sandals- Target ~$20
TOTAL COST: Approx. ~$41

            I was a little unsure about even using this outfit for BGH because, as a total ensemble, it’s on the simple side. However, I figured it would give me an opportunity to talk about my recent experiences in consignment shops.
            My mother and I ventured out in our semi-new city to check out a few consignment shops. I’ve been thrifting pretty regularly at Goodwill but I tend not to hit other thrifty stores, like consignment shops, because they tend to mark up for a product so similar to GW. Of course the prices are still reasonable, especially compared to retail. Many consignment shops have rules about the labels it will accept along with the amount of visible wear an item has. This is helpful to the buyer because it can mean less digging and quality labels.
            BUT (there’s always a but…) for me, thrifting is so much about the hunt. Consignment stores take away that joy for me! Nothing makes me smile quite like finding that vintage, unique, or one of a kind piece at GW (and at a killer price). To be fair, the consignment stores I visited were very reasonable, one was far less than my expectations, price wise, and I was thrilled to snag two vintage scarves. I would recommend a consignment shop to individuals who might feel Goodwill is too far a jump from the regular retail stores she frequents. Consignment shops often have their clothing divided by size, as well as garment type, making it much easier to search.
            This dress was a true snag, even at $21 (when compared to $5 for a dress at GW). It has so many qualities I like in dresses: classic silhouette (wrap dress), timeless color combination (navy and white), fun print (while still mature), good length (even with lanky arm syndrome), & finally, it’s made of some genius material that breathes and doesn’t wrinkle (even after you roll it into a tiny ball and squish it in your suitcase). For all of these reasons, I am already planning on including this dress on next summer’s family trip to Hawaii.
            Tell me readers: Are you more likely to shop consignment or shop at Goodwill (or similar thrift store)? Comment or email me at BsGoodwillHunting@gmail.com

Thriftfully Yours,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment